Friday, December 7, 2012

Sick computer :-(

You know your computer is sick when the monitor is on but the screen is black and it won't boot up.  I broke out in a cold sweat trying to figure out what was wrong with it. I'm perfectly able to figure things out if it's software related but hardware? Nope, have no idea.

I could see the fan whirling around.  That means nothing really...I just like the words "whirling around".

The very nice thing about Facebook and having very nice friends is the generosity that is offered up.  My friend Jackie offered up her husband; he's apparently a hardware kind of guy and she somehow talked him into doing the diagnostics for my poor computer.  What a girl! What a guy!

So far the data is recoverable. Which is a relief since ALL my artwork is on it. All my programs...some of which I no longer have the disks for. All kind of photos are on that hd.  A fan is broken and based on what Jackie said I'm betting the power supply is toast too.  I hope it's not too expensive to fix as it's my daughters 21st birthday tomorrow and Christmas is right around the corner and I don't get paid again until January.  Being on a strict budget doesn't allow for computer crashes.

I may not be doing any designing until January. That fills me with fear and loathing. Drawing every day is what keeps me sane.  A different friend told me about an electronics recyling place not too far away where maybe I can get parts really cheaply. All my body parts are crossed.

So I'm using a Mac laptop.  I've installed my Intuos tablet which helps a lot and I do have a really old Illustrator ap on it so maybe I can adjust to using that. I find a laptop a pita tho.  My fingers just hate the keyboard!  And I an so awkward with the touchpad.  But I am thankful that I have a laptop to use.

Hopefully I'll be up and running in no time. I'm keeping all my body parts crossed!


No comments:

Post a Comment